If you don't see your question in the list of frequently asked questions, you can search for the answer using our search tool below.

Find an Answer

If you are actively employed, your agency or service is solely responsible for making changes or corrections to your personal information such as your address, name, date of birth and Social Security number. We cannot accept these types of changes directly from you. You must contact your agency or service and ask that your information be changed for your TSP account.

If you are separated from federal service, you may change your address in My Account under “Profile Settings.” You can also change your address by completing Form TSP-9, Change of Address for Separated Participant, or by calling the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and choosing option 3 to speak with a Participant Service Representative.

If you are an active uniformed services member, going to the TSP section of myPay after you log in is the quickest and easiest way to update your TSP mailing address. From the main menu, click on “Traditional TSP and Roth TSP.” The “Correspondence Address” section of myPay will NOT update your information with the TSP. You MUST to go to the TSP section of myPay after logging in to change your TSP address.

As a TSP participant, you should know how to protect your account against various types of fraud. The TSP is administered by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, an independent federal government agency. Private parties offering assistance with your TSP account have not been approved, endorsed, sponsored, or authorized by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board.

If you are unsure whether correspondence or telephone calls claiming to be from the TSP are authentic, DO NOT provide any personal or financial information. Contact us directly at 1-877-968-3778 and choose option 3 to speak to a Participant Service Representative if you have questions or if you need to report any suspicious activity involving your TSP account.

You may add up to two email addresses and one phone number to your TSP account. If you do, we will send confirmation notices for certain online transactions and other communications about your TSP account to the inbox of your choice. To add an email address or phone number, log into My Account and go to “Profile Settings.” You can also call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and choose option 3 to have this profile information updated.

Check with your agency or service payroll office about its procedures for making an election to start, change, or stop your TSP contributions. You may be instructed to use your agency's or service's electronic system (for example, Employee Express, myPay, EBIS, LiteBlue, or NFC).

If your agency or service accepts the paper form, you can download and complete the TSP election form (Form TSP-1 or Form TSP-U-1) from this website, use the form they give you, or call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and chose option 3 to have it sent to you.

You can begin making “catch-up” contributions at any time beginning in the year you turn 50. Use Form TSP-1-C, Catch-Up Contribution Election, to start, stop, or change your catch-up contribution election to your TSP account. You must expect to contribute the maximum amount allowed of regular employee contributions for the year to the TSP or to an equivalent tax-deferred employer plan, such as a private sector 401(k) or nonprofit 403(b) employer plan. Your catch-up contributions will stop automatically when you reach the catch-up contribution limit or at the end of the calendar year, whichever comes first. You must make a new catch-up contribution election each calendar year by completing and submitting a new Form TSP-1-C (or Form TSP-U-1-C for uniformed services).

Yes, however, you should be aware that you will be affecting your retirement savings. If you are a FERS employee and you choose to stop your regular employee contributions, your Agency Automatic (1%) Contributions will continue each pay date that you are in pay status and will be invested according to your most recent contribution allocation on file with the TSP. Agency Matching Contributions will end when your regular employee contributions end.

If you would like your TSP account to be distributed according to the statutory order of precedence, it is not necessary to complete Form TSP-3, Designation of Beneficiary.

If you do not want your TSP account distributed in the order of precedence, you can complete Form TSP-3, Designation of Beneficiary. You can download the form from this website or you can call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and choose option 3 to request a copy of the form. Return the completed, original form directly to our address on the form or fax it to the number provided in the instructions. Do not submit Form TSP-3 to your agency or service. Be sure to make a copy of the form for your records.

If you do not remember whether you have submitted a Form TSP-3, you can find out by calling the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and choosing option 3 to speak with a Participant Service Representative.

Quarterly statements are typically available two weeks after the end of the calendar quarter. Annual statements are available in mid-February.

For participants who received a withdrawal or other taxable distribution during the calendar year, 1099-Rs are mailed by January 31 each year, and electronic versions are available online the first week of February in My Account under “Statements.”

The TSP website has made fund performance data and account balance data available for download, in excel (.csv) files, to your desktop, which should enable you to import data to a personal finance software application.

You can report technical problems regarding this website using an online comments form.

my account login

To log in to My Account, you will need to enter your TSP account number, which was mailed to you, OR your user ID, which you created yourself to use instead of your account number in online transactions, AND your web password. Your password will either be the one what was mailed to you, a temporary one that a Participant Service Representative (PSR) provided to you, or one that you created yourself when you were logged into your account. If it is the first time logging into your account with the password that was mailed to you or provided by a PSR, you will be prompted to create a new one of your choice.

If you have forgotten your account number, you must ask us to send it to you. For security reasons, you cannot receive this number via email or over the telephone. If you have forgotten your user ID, but still have access to your account number, use the account number to access your account and then create another user ID. You can use your account number and user ID interchangeably to log into your account.

If you have forgotten your TSP-issued password or a password that you created, you may either ask us to mail you another one or you may call 1-877-968-3778, choose option 3 to speak to a Participant Service Representative, and request that your password be reset.

If you joined the TSP prior to May 2007 and have never requested a password, you should use your ThriftLine Personal Identification Number (PIN) to set up a password. Enter your TSP account number and your PIN (in the password field). You will then be presented with the option to establish your password. If you have forgotten your PIN, you must ask us to mail you another one. For security reasons, you cannot receive this number via email or over the telephone.


If you successfully complete the entire loan process online and are approved, you will receive your money, in the form of a check mailed to your address of record, within 7–10 business days. Not everyone can complete the entire process online. If you want a residential loan, you must submit documentation or, if you are a married FERS participant or member of the uniformed services, for example, your spouse must sign the loan agreement.

By Mail or Fax
If you mail or fax Form TSP-20, Loan Application, it may take up to 10 business days for this form to be processed. Once it is processed, you will receive Form TSP-21, Loan Agreement, in the mail. You must complete the loan agreement and return it to us before your loan can be disbursed. It may take up to an additional 10 business days for this form to be processed before the money is disbursed from your account.

If you elect to receive your money by electronic funds transfer (EFT), your bank should receive the money within 3–5 business days once the funds are disbursed from your account.

If you elect to receive your money by check, you should receive the check within 7–10 business days once the funds are disbursed from your account.

When you leave federal service, you must repay your loan in full within 90 days after your separation is reported to us. Your repayment must include any accrued interest on the outstanding principal balance. You will receive a notice providing repayment details from us after your agency notifies us of your separation.

If you do not repay your outstanding loan balance in full, a taxable distribution of the remaining balance amount of your loan will be declared as taxable income. You can roll the amount of the distribution into a traditional IRA or eligible employer plan within 60 days of it being declared to avoid taxes and penalties in accordance with Internal Revenue Code regulations.

You will not be able to withdraw your TSP account until your loan is closed by either payment in full or taxable distribution.

For more information, please read the tax notice Important Tax Information About Payments from Your TSP Account.

No, you cannot make loan payments online. When we process your loan, we will notify your payroll office immediately to begin deducting loan payments from your salary each pay period.

Check your leave and earnings statement to be sure that loan payments have started, are being deducted each pay period, and that they are in the correct amount. Contact your agency or service if payments have not started, if your loan is not being repaid according to your pay cycle, or if they are in the wrong amount.

Be aware that you are responsible for the repayment of your loan regardless of whether your agency or service misses a payment. Additional information is available under Repaying Your Loan.


There are two types of investment transactions you can make in your TSP account: a contribution allocation and an interfund transfer.

A contribution allocation specifies how you want to invest money going into your TSP account. This will apply to all future deposits, including your contributions by payroll deduction, transfers from other retirement plans, any matching or automatic contributions from your employer, and any TSP loan payments. A contribution allocation does not affect how money already in your account is invested.

An interfund transfer (IFT) allows you to redistribute all or part of your existing TSP account among the different TSP funds. An IFT does not affect the investment of future deposits into your TSP account. You are allowed two unrestricted IFTs each calendar month. Once you have reached that limit, the only IFT you are allowed to make is into the Government Securities Investment (G) Fund.

You may request a contribution allocation or an interfund transfer in My Account under “Online Transactions.” You may also call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and follow the automated prompts, or you can choose option 3 to speak with a Participant Service Representative.


Yes, you can leave your entire account balance in the TSP when you leave federal service if the balance is $200 or more. You can continue to enjoy tax-deferred earnings and low administrative expenses. Once you separate, you will no longer be able to make employee contributions. However, you can transfer money into your TSP account from IRAs (although not from Roth IRAs) and eligible employer plans. Your account will continue to accrue earnings, and you can continue to change the way your money is invested in the TSP investment funds by making interfund transfers.

Disbursements are processed daily. Generally, you should allow several weeks from the time you submit your completed withdrawal request and the time that payment is sent. The TSP will notify you in writing when your payment has been disbursed. You can go to My Account under “Withdrawals” or call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and choose option 3 to speak with a Participant Service Representative to find out the status of your request.

Your withdrawal could take longer if your agency or service delays reporting your separation from federal service, if you have an outstanding TSP loan, if there is some type of hold on the account such as court order hold, if you are trying to do a transfer or other split withdrawal, or if you submit forms that are not completed properly.

Note that withdrawal processing times vary and can take less time than described above. If you want your withdrawal to take place in the next calendar year, wait until then to submit your form. You cannot submit a withdrawal form and specify some future time for the disbursement to take place.

After you leave federal service you will not have to take your money all at one time. You have two options for withdrawing your TSP account after you leave: you may take a partial withdrawal or a full withdrawal.

A partial withdrawal allows you to make a one-time-only withdrawal and leave the rest of your money in the TSP until a later date. Use Form TSP-77, Request for Partial Withdrawal When Separated. It is available on this website or through the ThriftLine.

You can make a partial withdrawal under the following circumstances:

  • You have not made a prior partial withdrawal or have one that is currently pending, and
  • You did not make an age-based in-service withdrawal while you were still employed by the federal government or the uniformed services, and
  • You request $1,000 or more from your account.

You will be required to make a full withdrawal election to start withdrawing your money by April 1 of the year following the year you turn age 70½. If you want to initiate monthly payments, purchase a life annuity, receive a lump sum payment, or a combination of these from your entire vested TSP account balance, use Form TSP-70, Request for Full Withdrawal, to declare what percentage of your account balance is to be used for each of the withdrawal options. You may partially fill in the withdrawal form online, but you cannot submit it online. You must print out the form and either mail or fax it to us for processing using the address or fax number on the form. (If you are a married FERS participant or member of the uniformed services, for example, your spouse must also sign the withdrawal form.)

Full Withdrawal as a Series of Monthly Payments
Choose monthly payments if you want to withdraw your entire account in a series of payments spread over time. We offer two choices of monthly payment:

Specific Dollar Amount. You may request a specific dollar amount that you will receive each month until your entire TSP account has been paid out to you. The amount you request must be $25 or more.

Life Expectancy. You may request to have us calculate your monthly payment for you using the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) Life Expectancy Tables. Your first payment amount will be based on your age and your account balance at the time of the first payment. We will recalculate your monthly payment every year.

You will have an opportunity, at the end of each year, to make limited changes to the monthly payment amount you receive (see Form TSP-73, Change in Monthly Payment Amount). At any time, while receiving monthly payments, you can also request to withdraw the remaining balance in your TSP account using Form TSP-79, Change From Monthly Payments to Final Payment.

Full Withdrawal as a Life Annuity*
A life annuity is a monthly benefit paid to you for life. You can withdraw all or part of your TSP account as a life annuity as long as the amount used to purchase it is $3,500 or more. If you have both a traditional and a Roth balance, the $3,500 minimum threshold applies to each balance separately. The TSP will purchase your annuity(ies) for you from its provider. For information on the annuity options available to you, visit Annuities.

* Make sure you do NOT confuse the TSP annuity that you can purchase as a full withdrawal option with the annuity that is part of your retirement package. The TSP annuity is not the basic annuity that you will receive when you retire as either a FERS or CSRS employee, or the retired pay that you receive as a member of the uniformed services.

Full Withdrawal as a Single Payment
Choose the single payment option if you want to withdraw your entire account at one time. It is sometimes referred to as a "lump sum" payment.

If you want to take both a partial and a full withdrawal together, be sure to submit your Form TSP-77Request for Partial Withdrawal When Separated, first and wait for confirmation of payment before you submit Form TSP-70. If you submit them at the same time, your full withdrawal may process first and your partial withdrawal will be rejected.

Be advised that while your withdrawal request is being processed, the money you have invested in any of the TSP funds is subject to fluctuation due to changes in market prices and interest rates. If you want to completely eliminate your exposure to risk of loss during this period, you can request an interfund transfer to invest your account in the Government Securities Investment (G) Fund.

If you have questions regarding your withdrawal options, please call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and choose option 3 to speak with a Participant Service Representative. Once your disbursement election has been processed, it cannot be cancelled or returned to us. You may want to discuss your withdrawal election decision with your accountant or financial advisor. If you are considering a TSP annuity, you should also use the Retirement Income Calculator on this website or ask a Participant Service Representative for assistance to estimate your monthly annuity amount.