Skip to main content

Divorce, annulment, and legal separation

Your current or former spouse, or your dependents, could be awarded a portion of your TSP account if a valid Retirement Benefits Court Order (RBCO) to divide your account is issued. The RBCO can be issued at any time in the divorce, annulment, and separation proceedings.

The rules for qualified domestic relations orders (QDROs) that apply to private sector plans do not apply to the TSP.

A valid RBCO requires the TSP to freeze your account, preventing you from taking any new loans or withdrawals until the award is paid out or the order is otherwise resolved. However, a freeze will not prevent you from making contributions or changing your contribution allocation or investment choices, and you will still be required to make payments on existing loans.

Be sure to read Court Orders and Powers of Attorney for a complete understanding of your rights and responsibilities.