Skip to main content
  • Starting in January 2021, we’re making the process easier for participants. If you’re turning 50 or older and are eligible for catch-up, you’ll no longer need to make separate catch-up elections to your TSP account. To learn how to make these contributions next year, visit Catch-up contributions.

News and resources

  • Unavailable Catch-up contribution

    Unavailable Withholding Allowance

    Unavailable Annual addition

Loan rate
Annuity rate Historical annuity rates

Latest news and announcements

See all

Third quarter participant statements are online and in the mail — Your third quarter 2020 participant statement, covering the period from July 1 through September 30, 2020, is now available in My Account. To receive email updates when new participant statements are available, select the “Subscribe” button on Plan news.

How your My Account login is changing — Beginning late October 2020, you’ll need a user ID, password, and validated phone number to receive an authentication code and log in securely to My Account. We’re also adding new features to make this change as easy as possible for you.

Logging in with a user ID

Your user ID is an easier, more secure way to log in.

Because you create your own user ID, you can create one that is unique and easy for you to remember. As a new feature, you’ll be able to recover your user ID online if you do forget it. This means you’ll be able to regain access to My Account without having to wait for your TSP account number by mail.

Your user ID, like your password, is known only to you. For security purposes, TSP representatives on the ThriftLine don’t have access to this information, and no one from the TSP will ever ask you for this information. Protect your user ID to keep your account secure.

Identity verification with your phone number

You can validate any phone number that receives calls.

As a new feature, you’ll be able to receive validation and verification codes by automated phone call. That means that you can validate your phone number even if it doesn’t receive text messages.

If you validate a phone number that can receive both calls and texts, you’ll see a prompt to choose the delivery method each time you need a verification code.

When the delivery method is a phone call, you’ll receive an automated call that voices your code aloud.

International phone numbers can still receive codes.

You may continue using your international phone number to receive verification codes. Our system currently generates codes by text message to international phone numbers, and it will make automated phone calls to international phone numbers when that feature becomes available in late October.

It’s important to include the correct country code for an international number. When you add a number in My Account, you can select a checkbox to indicate that it’s an international number. A new field will appear for you to enter the country code.

If you lose access to your validated phone number, we will help you.

If you lose access to your validated phone number, call the ThriftLine to speak to a TSP representative. After verifying your identity, the TSP representative will help you add and validate a new phone number.

Keep an email address on your account.

Please keep a personal email address in Profile Settings. For security reasons, we will no longer send authentication codes by email, but we will still email you certain transaction confirmations and educational outreach related to your account.

Managing your TSP savings outside of My Account

You have options if you can’t access your account online.

You can access your account information and perform certain transactions, such as interfund transfers, when you call the ThriftLine and use the automated response system. To access your account through the ThriftLine, you’ll need your TSP account number and Personal Identification Number (PIN).

How to prepare for login changes

You may not need to take any actions in My Account right now to prepare for these changes. After the new features become available, you’ll see prompts at login to create or recover your user ID and add and validate a phone number, if you need to.

If you do want to make sure your account is ready for these features, you can log in to My Account and check your personal information in Profile Settings:

  1. Create or change your user ID.
  2. Make sure your contact information is up to date, including phone number, email, and mailing address.

If you need to validate a phone number that doesn’t receive text messages, you’ll be able to do that when this new feature becomes available in late October.

Top 5 FAQs

  • How you change your address with us depends on whether or not you still work for the federal government.

    If you’re currently a federal employee, report your correct address to your agency. We can’t accept address changes directly from you.

    If you’re an active member of the Air Force, Army, Navy, or Marine Corps, you can update your address through the myPay website. Just make sure that you log in and go to the TSP section to change your TSP address. If you change it in the “Correspondence Address” section of myPay, it will not change your TSP address. Members of the Coast Guard and NOAA Corps can use Direct Access. Select “Home and Mailing Address” under Tasks, then choose “TSP” from the drop-down menu next to “Address Type.”

    If you’re no longer a federal employee or uniformed services member, visit My Account: Profile Settings to change the address. Or while you’re logged in, use our Change in Address for Separated Participants, Form TSP-9, and fax or mail it to us.

    To change or validate your contact information such as your phone number or email address, visit My Account: Profile Settings.

  • In most cases, you’ll use your agency’s or service’s electronic payroll system to start, change, or stop your TSP contributions. For example, civilian payroll systems include Employee Express, EBIS, LiteBlue, myPay, or NFC EPP. Uniformed services can use myPay (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps) or Direct Access (Coast Guard and NOAA Corps).

    If your agency or service accepts the paper form, download and complete the Form TSP-1, Election Form (or Form TSP-U-1 for uniformed services members), or call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and choose option 3 to have it mailed to you.

  • Starting in the year you turn 50, you may be eligible to make catch-up contributions to your TSP account in addition to your regular employee contributions.

    Here’s what you should know:

    • You must already be contributing an amount that will reach the IRS annual contribution limit. To see the current limits, visit Contribution Limits.
    • You may start, change, or stop making catch-up contributions at any times.
    • There are no matching contributions for catch-up contributions.
    • You must make a new election each year—they do not restart automatically.

    Uniformed service members cannot use incentive pay, special pay, or bonus pay to make catch-up contributions. If you’re in a combat zone, catch-up contributions must be Roth.

    To make a catch-up contribution election, use your agency’s or service’s payroll website (e,g., Employee Express, EBIS, LiteBlue, myPay, and NFC EPP) or complete Form TSP-1-C, Catch-Up Contribution Election (TSP-U-1-C for uniformed services members) and submit it to your payroll office. You may also download the form or call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and press 3 to request a copy.

  • If you forget, lose, or want to change your TSP account password, you’ve got a few options.

    If you forget or lose your password, go to the My Account section of, click on “Forgot your password?” and follow the prompts. If you know your password and want to change it, log in to My Account: Profile Settings and click on “Change Your Password.” You can also call the ThriftLine at 1-877-968-3778 and press option 3 to speak to a Participant Service Representative.

  • If you successfully complete the entire loan process online and are approved, you’ll receive your money within 7–10 business days in the form of a check mailed to the address we have on file for you. You will not have the option of receiving your money by electronic funds transfer (EFT).

    If you submitted a paper loan agreement, your request make take several weeks to process.

    You may track the status of your loan online or by contacting us.