Skip to main content

Excess deferrals refunds

The elective deferral and catch-up contribution limits apply to all contributions you make to the TSP and most other employer-sponsored defined contribution plans (e.g., 401(k), 403(a), or 403(b) plans). If you exceed these limits by contributing to more than one employer plan, you may request a refund of excess deferrals from the TSP for the amount of contributions above these limits. To learn more about deferrals, read the fact sheet Annual Limit on Elective Deferrals.

Beginning in January each year for a limited time period, you can use Form TSP-44, Request for Refund of Excess Employee Contributions, to request a refund of the previous year’s excess deferrals. We must receive your TSP-44 no later than March 15. We cannot process requests received after this date.

The other employer plans affected by the elective deferral limit may also accept requests for excess deferral refunds. Review information from all your plan providers before choosing a plan from which to request a refund.