Skip to main content
  • Starting in January 2021, we’re making the process easier for participants. If you’re turning 50 or older and are eligible for catch-up, you’ll no longer need to make separate catch-up elections to your TSP account. To learn how to make these contributions next year, visit Catch-up contributions.

Automatic enrollment refunds

Generally, if you were automatically enrolled in the TSP, you have 90 days from the date of your first contribution to request a refund of your own automatic enrollment contributions and earnings. To request a refund, use Form TSP-25, Automatic Enrollment Refund Request. If you are a FERS or BRS employee, you will forfeit your Agency/Service Matching Contributions, but Agency Automatic (1%) Contributions will remain in your account.

If you make a contribution election to change your automatic contributions in any way, you’re no longer in the “automatic enrollment period” and cannot request a refund of any contributions you made after that change.

If you’re an automatically enrolled BRS participant and you have since stopped contributing to your TSP account, you will again be automatically enrolled in January. In other words, if you were not contributing on December 31 of a given year, you will be reenrolled at the beginning of the new year. Your service must give you the opportunity to stop reenrollment before contributions are taken from your pay. If you fail to stop the automatic reenrollment from taking place, you are not eligible for refunds of the contributions that result from it.