• We've redesigned our web experience with you in mind. Take a look and tell us what you think.

    Visit beta.tsp.gov.

  • Desktop browser and smartphone displaying redesigned homepage of tsp.gov
Making Up Missed Contributions
If you want to make up missed contributions, you may only make up the maximum TSP amounts each year for civilians, minus contributions you made each year as a member of the uniformed services. It does not matter if the contributions made to your uniformed services account were tax deferred or tax-exempt in determining the amount.
Claiming Retroactive Contributions
You will need to provide copies of your uniformed services leave and earnings statements to show the amount you contributed from basic pay to be eligible to receive retroactive matching contributions to your civilian TSP account. Bonus, special, and incentive pays are not eligible for retroactive matching contributions.

Now that you're back in your civilian job, there are a few things you'll need to do and consider.

Your Rights Under USERRA

Read the Fact Sheet TSP Benefits That Apply to Members of the Military Who Return to Federal Civilian Service to fully understand all of your rights under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).

TSP Account Contributions

Resuming and Making Up Contributions

When you return to your civilian job:

  • Ensure that your TSP contributions resume and are being deducted from your pay.
  • Decide whether you want to make up contributions to your civilian TSP account for the period of time you missed as a result of your military service (including catch-up contributions if you are age 50 or older).
  • Submit a written request to your agency within 60 days of the date of your reemployment or restoration to Federal civilian service to make up eligible missed TSP contributions. Contact your agency human resources office to request information on their procedures for processing USERRA claims.

Claiming Retroactive Contributions*

If you are a FERS employee, you may be eligible to claim retroactive matching contributions to your civilian account. You must have made contributions from basic pay to your uniformed services account while you were on nonpay performing military service or elected to make employee contributions when you returned from military service. Keep your leave and earnings statements while on active duty to facilitate your claim.

Take a close look at your balance and transactions in your civilian TSP account while you were away. You can access your participant statements at My Account: Statements. If you are covered by FERS, and Agency Automatic (1%) Contributions and attributable earnings were removed from your account while you were in nonpay status, ask your agency to restore these funds.

TSP Loans

Be sure that your agency submits Form TSP-41, Notification to TSP of Nonpay Status, so that your loan payments will resume, and the TSP will be notified that you have returned to pay status.

Notify the TSP within 90 days of your return to civilian service if a taxable distribution was declared on your loan while you were on active military duty. This taxable distribution can be reversed.

* BRS members: Service Automatic (1%) and Matching Contributions you received while serving in the military will be deducted from restored agency contributions.