Does nonpay status apply to you?
This section does not apply to you if you are in nonpay status performing an assignment with a state or local government agency under provisions of the Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) or serving as a full-time employee of a union. See your Personnel or Benefits Office about details of your TSP participation.

Nonpay status is defined as:

  • A civilian employee on furlough or leave without pay for one or more pay periods, or
  • A uniformed services member who is in the Ready Reserves and has been given approval by their command to skip scheduled drills, or whose yearly drill schedule is performed over a one- or two-month period. Note: Most uniformed services members will never be in nonpay status.